Thursday, October 20, 2011

banner red bed

i mentioned earlier this week that we had finally transitioned til to a twin bed. i've heard so many horror stories from friends and customers about taking their babies from their cribs to toddler/twin beds. my mom told me to wait as long as i could! i have to say that i think waiting until matilda was older was a good move, granted she never tried to climb out of her crib which would be an entirely different story. this weekend we picked up the iron bed i slept on until i was 13! it was white when i was tiny and then once i hit middle school i begged my mom to paint it black which it stayed until we painted it banner red for matilda. i have such an affinity for red. it just makes me happy. back to the bed, my mom told me that it originally belonged to the candler family and was being stored by my great grandfather and they let him keep it. it still has the orginal clay feet. i love it.

we had the bed all set up and ready to go and then at 6:30 sunday night (bedtime is at 7) and then we panicked and sam ran out to get a guardrail. it's been three nights and i still panic she'll fall out. sam ended up grabbing this guardrail from babysrus (didn't see it online). it's wooden and technically to be used to convert a crib to a toddler bed but it still works with a twin. not quite as hideous as those mesh things but we will fo sho be craigslisting this bad boy when she's done with it.

sweet dreams so far and no getting out of bed just yet. knock.on.wood.

how was your experience when your little person went to the big kid bed? did you jump right to a twin/ full or stick with a toddler bed?
matilda was definitely concerned about her crib and where it went and tears might have welled up in my eyes when sam broke it down and took it out of her room.

sources: the sheets were an amazing score at a garage sale way before matilda was even in the picture (secretly hoping for a little girl to sleep on them), the green pillows are "vintage" anthropologie, the monogrammed pillow is from pottery barn, the duvet is from target, the bedskirt is shabby chic for target, and the adorable dolls are blabla.

ps you can find me over here today!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I may have had sheets like those when I was little! They are so sweet for a girls room! I too cried twice when my husband broke both my boys cribs down..... they get big too fast!

Jennifer

Alivia said...

UM. *I* want this bed. It is gorgeous.

Kate Kiefer said...

it's perfect! til looks pretty happy with it too : )

Natalie Kilgore said...

I had a similar iron twin growing up, too! It looks great painted red, and I love the bedding you mixed and matched. Red is so unexpected, but I love it!

Erin Sanzone said...

This bed is so you Lesley! Love it... We transitioned Leighton to her "big kid" bed when she was 2 (last year) so that she could give her crib to her baby brother (we did this 6 months before he arrived so she could settle in). But, I still cried, even though we were only moving the crib to another room! The transition went smoothly, just wished I'd done it sooner. I too was so afraid that my bad sleeper would get even worse, but on the contrary, I think that with her big bed she felt much more in control of her sleeping! The rail anecdote is so funny...we did the same thing! Leighton's twin iron bed is probably as old as Matilda's...the "modern" twin mattress doesn't technically fit the frame and now it has to sit up so high, with room along the sides...I was so afraid she'd fall out! We have the hideous mesh rails...but, yes, they will be craigslisted (or I guess in our case...saved for baby brother)...but totally necessary! PS. LOVE the pic above the bed...ha ha...perfect for the 3 year old's room!

Lesley said...

SO FUN! i love that bed and the pillows and it all. i haven't had to go through this yet... it'll be a while for me. :)

Between Blue and Yellow said...

I love it! That red was a great choice. So neat that both our girls sleep in our old beds. We had Amelia's guard rail up for a couple months, but took it down when I realized she didn't even come close to it.

rebekah said...

i'm in love

McMel said...

we're not ready to move beds yet, so no experience here. however, my family has a twin & a full iron bed that belonged to my great aunts, and who knows before that. i think my parents have the twin & my uncle has the full... so maybe if i have a little girl one day...

Lesley said...

all of your kind words made me so happy! thank you!!

Erin said...

What and amazing piece of history! I know she will love the story when she gets older. My little one will one day sleep on my dad and my childhood bed-pretty stoked about it :)

Anonymous said...

that bed is amazing (LOVE the red)! great history, too. we are currently transitioning max ... the reason i didn't return your call actually was because he'd fallen out of our bed (bad mama) and broke his collar bone! ugh. did you get my email with my info?

:) deAnna