Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Natural Child Birth

Duh-duh duhhhhh. So, lately I've been thinking a lot about natural child birth and being a woman and conquering my fear of giving birth. I've been doing some research by talking to friends, watching documentaries like

The Business of Being Born
,
and I just ordered a book my friend Becky recommended called

Natural Childbirth: The Bradley Way
.
My friend Jodi also gave me a book to read about water birth called

Choosing waterbirth: Reclaiming the Sacred Power of Birth
.
I have known only a few people to actually deliver naturally and it just astounds me that the percentage of women getting c-sections in America continues to rise. Just today I had a customer ask me if I had scheduled a c-section. WHAT?! I'm not Britney Spears. Here are some revelations and statistics for you to devour:
-C section rates have risen to more than 29% in 2004 and continue to climb
-The United States has the second worst newborn death rate in the developed world
-Midwives attend over 70% of births in Europe and Japan, but that figure totals less than 8% in the US
-The US spends twice as much per birth as any other country

I don't think I want a home birth because it comforts my American soul to be in a hospital, but I don't want to use drugs or be confined to a hospital bed if I want to move around. I just want to have a healthy delivery and a healthy baby. I truly believe our bodies were made to do this and that the more we interfere with the miracle of life, then the more room we have for error. God designed us purposefully.

If anyone has any advice or experience I would love the comments. Please email a link to this post to anyone you think might have some feedback for me.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know i have no experince with this but i have known you for many years now. You are a very strong women and can do what ever you put your mind to. I faith in you. Jess

Lesley said...

jess,
thank you for your encouragement. Our conversation at lunch inspired me! Love you!

skye whitley said...

lesley! i totally believe in natural child birth! my friend rosalie delivered her liam naturally and she told me all about it. apparently she went through her entire labor in a jacuzzi tub to relax her body and skin and then delivered him. she said it was a piece of cake. i will get more details...

Lesley said...

skye, that is awesome! i would love to here more about rosalie. ask her if she would be interested in sharing her birth story on here. thank you!

Ashley said...

my lovely lesley, my sister delivered both of her sons naturally (and in a hospital). I know that if she can do it, then you can too. (She's kind of a big baby.. or at least she was before she had kids!) She didn't have any problems during or after either of the births and was able to go home the next evening. I can definitely give you her number if you want to talk to her about it. I miss you and love you tons. xoxo

Lesley said...

ash, i miss and love you too! it has been way too long! Do you think that your sister would be interested in sharing her birth stories here? i just think they are so inspiring. hope you have an awesome weekend!

Beyond Blessed in GA said...

I know i'm pulling this post out from old ones, but as a naturally delivering mom (one at hospital, one at home) I'm dying to hear your birth story. Perhaps its too personal, perhaps your still mulling it over, perhaps it didnt go as planned, either anyhow, it was the birth of your amazing baby, and I'd love to hear it :)