Sunday, July 13, 2008

Oh, Jamie Lynn...it's all your fault

Well, maybe that's not entirely true, but teen pregnancy is on the rise for the first time in over a decade. I think that single parenthood and children out of wedlock has been made "trendy" by Hollywood. You see celebrities on the covers of magazines holding their beautiful babies wrapped in the latest "it" blanket, looking the picture of perfection. The boyfriends are often long gone and nothing is said about how much work goes into being a parent. It's a lot more than fancy strollers and Starbucks runs.

Here is Jamie Lynn on the cover of OK Magazine:



More photos:







I was right on schedule. They'd told me it would be an eight- to 12-hour labor, and I was ready to have the baby in three to four hours. I had a perfect pregnancy and a perfect delivery. There was no c-section. There were no emergencies. She was perfectly healthy. I had a normal, natural birth. I was very blessed.

source:Celebrity Baby Blog


Nothing in the article talks about Jamie Lynn's sudden responsibility, loss of freedom, late nights with a crying baby. It portrays an ideal situation for an 18 year old, who has yet to even gain life experiences of her own. The article shows Jamie Lynn completely dolled up (looking way older than 18 I might add, especially next to her teenage boyfriend) in her perfect house with her perfect child.

I don't want to condemn Jamie Lynn because I believe it is very honorable to decide to keep and raise a baby. I do think however that her situation is being glamorized instead of taking the opportunity to show how hard it can be to raise a child when you are pretty much a child yourself. Jamie Lynn is also lucky enough to have the resources to provide for her baby, unlike many teenage moms.

Something to chew on. Any thoughts?

© copyright homemade grits

2 comments:

Maria Pinkelton said...

Oh Lordy! I couldn't agree with you more. I am sure people laugh and call us old fashioned when we say..
First comes love...
Then comes marriage...
THEN comes the baby in the baby carriage.

Anonymous said...

Thank you!!! Someone needed to say it. All these teenage girls getting prego. JX