Saturday, August 30, 2008

Such good times

Yesterday I received a phone call from my nurse saying that I had tested positive for Group B Strep. She told me that I would get an IV of antibiotics during labor and that this would protect my baby. I went online and now I'm totally worried and stressed. I wrote my doctor an email and I'm sure I won't hear back from her until after the holiday. When it rains it pours.

So far this is the info that I have on the disease:

Group B strep (GBS) is a bacteria naturally found in the digestive tract and birth canal of 1 in 4 pregnant women. These women “carry” or are “colonized” with GBS. However, GBS can come and go at any time so each pregnancy can be different. Babies can be infected by GBS before birth and up to 6 months of age because of their underdeveloped immune systems.

GBS most commonly causes infection in the blood (sepsis), the fluid and lining of the brain (meningitis), and lungs (pneumonia). It can cause babies to be miscarried, stillborn, or die after being born. Some GBS survivors have permanent handicaps such as blindness, deafness, mental retardation, and cerebral palsy.


Group B Strep Intl

Encouraging right?

No comments: