Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Easy Dinner

Emily and I were complaining yesterday about how we always cook the same dinners and that we're sick of being in a rut, so I surfed the net for a recipe that I could make using the few items I actually had on stock. I decided on pasta with cream sauce and I tweaked the recipe a little. It ended up being delicious. I don't think I've ever gotten as many ooohs and ahhhs from Sambo. So, here it is...

Cream Sauce
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup heated milk
1/3 cup heavy cream
salt
white pepper
freshly ground nutmeg (optional)
Few tablespoons dry white wine, a few teaspoons mixed fresh herbs, Parmesan cheese, etc.

Preparation:

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir until mixture is well blended. Gradually stir in hot milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sauce begins to boil and thickens. Simmer, stirring frequently, over very low heat for 5 minutes. Stir in cream and wine, if using. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add a little nutmeg and herbs, if desired. Makes about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups of medium thick sauce.

source:cream sauce

I didn't use the wine (only because I didn't have any;)), but I did add a pinch of nutmeg, a handful of shredded parmesan, and a teaspoon of minced garlic. To die for and super easy. I just poured the sauce over a box of Rotini (the curly spirals) and that was it. Would have been even better with some grilled chicken and sun dried tomatoes!

Bon a petit!


image source:the pioneer woman

© copyright homemade grits

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Shanee gave me this recepie a long time ago. It will rock your face off.

Corn Souffle
1 box of Jiffy Corn bread mix
1 small tub of sour cream
1 can of kernal corn
1 can of cream corn
eggs and milk called for on the Jiffy box.
Mix it all up and bake it for the time written on the Jiffy box.
Smooches!!!

Lesley said...

yes please