Thursday, April 30, 2009

DIY: Restoring Garden Furniture

These little babies were destined to become yard art until my neighbor Christy was like "hold the phone," and gave me a little lesson on reupholstering. I don't think I'll be recovering a chair anytime soon, but here's a quick and easy tutorial.

Before:



The seats got waterlogged and rotted:( I'll miss the yellow.

After:



1.



You'll need some ply board for the seat. Sam got underneath and traced the shape on to the board.

2.



Next cut out the shape with a saw.

3.



I washed down the chairs and repainted them to prevent rust.

4.



We used two inch foam board which I cut in to the shape of the seat with a bread knife.

5.



We used vinyl for the seat and cut it. Alternating sides, we pulled the fabric tight little by little and then stapled it to the board.

6.


7.



Screw in to the board from the bottom to secure.

Voila.

© copyright homemade grits

1 comment:

Christy said...

Yeah!! They look great, I'm so glad I caught you before they hit the curb! It's weird, I'm usually all about purging!